What if the 4th of July was a celebration of your mind and body’s freedom from eating disorder tyranny?
What if you joined your body in its claim to independence from your eating disorder? What if, on this day of deliverance, you established a healthy unity in yourself, free from a cruel and oppressive government?
To establish this independence you could follow the practice of America’s founding fathers. They listened to the wishes, desires, pain, needs and will of the colonists. Now it’s time for you to listen to your body. Take some time to answer these exploratory questions. They can empower your revolution against the eating disorder autocracy that rules your life.
Six Exploratory Questions
- If you are anorexic how would your health and awareness of the world change if you listened to your endocrine system? Your body is crying out for nourishment by experiencing a hormonal function shut down.
- If you are bulimic how would your health and awareness change if you listened to your esophagus plead for a rest from the continuous flow of burning digestive acids?
- If you are a compulsive eater or binge eater how would your health and awareness change if you listened to your stomach that cried out for mercy and relief from the continuous need to stretch to the point of pain?
- What if, instead of war, you learned to make peace with your body?
- What if you befriended yourself?
- What if you welcomed help from your psychotherapist and treatment team? What if you let them show you how to heal, grow and be your authentic self in the world?
Cause of Fear
Much of your fear and sense of vulnerability comes from experiencing genuine care as an attack. This is because you are looking both for support for your eating disorder maintained illusions and soothing for your fears. Being kind to your body is about accepting kindness in the world as you face frightening challenges. This is the beginning of granting freedom to your authentic self.
Self kindness and self honesty are your weapons against the eating disorder monarch that considers you and your body a colony. You can rally yourself with these weapons. You can establish yourself as an independent, valuable and creative being, capable of creating a wonderful life.
Add new meaning to the 4th of July and let it commemorate, forever, your freedom. What if every blast of fireworks, every flag waving in the wind, every red, white and blue decoration, celebrated your country’s independence and yours?
Please share your responses to these what if? questions and more that you think of on your own. You will help yourself and others in the fight for freedom.